This was a research project that looked over the 25 latest installments of 100 web comics and studied the characters that appeared within.
A character was defined as:
- Named. A title used as a name was accepted. For example, Captain was considered a name. My captain was not.
- Appeared in more than one installment.
The webcomics had to fit the following parameters:
- Published exclusively or originally on the web.
- Currently updating as of mid-April, 2012 at least twice a month.
- Fifty pages already published.
- Primarily human cast.
- Cast stayed largely consistent update to update.
- No stick figures or such heavily stylized figures that were impossible to tell apart.
How the webcomics were chosen:
- A list of 500 webcomics that fit the parameters was pulled from http://thewebcomiclist.com and friends’ recommendations.
- From those 500, 100 were pulled using an online list randomizer (http://www.random.org/lists/). The top 100 after scrambling the list several times were the ones used.
- This was meant to provide as random of a sampling of webcomics as possible, based on the principle of simple random sampling without replacement, in the hope that this would provide a more accurate representative sample than consciously choosing based on a personal idea of the breakdown of webcomics.
- List of webcomics in the study
Characters were studied to find: